POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : newbie trying to create a filament for an incandescent light bulb : newbie trying to create a filament for an incandescent light bulb Server Time
4 Sep 2024 20:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  newbie trying to create a filament for an incandescent light bulb
From: Rod Reed
Date: 7 Aug 2002 06:38:30
Message: <3d50f8a6@news.povray.org>
Hi all,
    I have only been playing with POVRay for about a week so am very new. I
noticed in one of the examples a lightbulb was created but it had a
"frosted" bulb. I would like to create a clear bulb so you can see the
filament burning. The bulb was easy enough but I am having some trouble with
the filament. So far I have tried using the looks_like a cylinder on a point
light_source. The cylinder encloses the point of the light source.
Regardless of what I do to the cylinder texture it always looks black. Can
this approach going to give me the desired result? I have seen other
postings that talk about "media" and "glow", should I be using one of these
instead? I haven't gotten that far through the tutorial yet. Any advice is
welcome, thanks in advance.
Rod.

PS here is the light source code as it stands now -
  light_source {
    <0,0,0>
    colour White
    looks_like {